Confirmation for Young Adults
Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds. Confirmation, like Baptism, imprints a spiritual mark or indelible character on the Christian's soul; for this reason one can receive this sacrament only once in one's life. A candidate for Confirmation who has attained the age of reason must profess the faith, be in the state of grace, have the intention of receiving the sacrament, and be prepared to assume the role of disciple and witness to Christ, both within the ecclesial community and in temporal affairs (Catechism 1316–1317, 1319).
- Preparation begins in the ninth grade with the a two-year program where the students go through the Chosen program, a Catechism-based Confirmation preparation program, take part in a retreat, and do 8 volunteer hours for church, family, and community, and attend Mass each Sunday.
- Classes meet on Wednesday evenings from 7:20–8:30 pm. Dates are in the church bulletin. If you need to sign your son/daughter up, please contact the parish office and we will send you the paperwork.
- There will be an orientation meeting for both parents and students on September 8, 2021 at 6:00 PM for grade 9 and at 7:30 PM for grade 10. All classes will begin on September 15, 2021.
Part One — Altaration: The Mystery of the Mass Revealed
- Altaration addresses head-on one of the biggest problems we all face: how do we get Catholic teens to appreciate the awesome beauty and mystery of the Mass and to actually look forward to attending and participating?
- Through a unique learning experience, including powerful cinematography and workbook resources, teens will come to see the Mass and the priesthood in a dramatically new way. Altaration is designed to stir thought, create conversation, dispel myths, and inspire young souls to a deep and lasting love for the Mass. The goal of Altaration is not to fill teens’ heads with information but to pierce their hearts with transformation.
- Chosen: Your Journey Toward Confirmation takes young people on a journey through the entire Catholic faith in all its richness and vitality. Teens will be captivated by the story, from Creation all the way through salvation history, and they will come to see how the sacraments, prayer, and discipleship are the keys to a happy life. The goal of this 24-lesson program is nothing short of winning over the hearts of teens and making them disciples of Christ.
- Chosen’s carefully designed methodology features highly effective and engaging material conveyed through videos, student workbooks, and classroom experience. Featuring twelve of the top youth experts in the Church today and filmed in more than 50 locations, Chosen is unlike any program available in the Church.