CCC 1422 — Those who approach the sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God’s mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example, and by prayer labors for their conversion.
From the Catholic Catechism: Reconciliation is called the Sacrament of conversion because it makes sacramentally present Jesus' call to conversion, the first step in returning to the Father from whom one has strayed by sin. It is called the Sacrament of Penance, since it consecrates the Christian sinner's personal and ecclesial steps of conversion, penance, and satisfaction. It is called the Sacrament of Confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. In a profound sense it is also a "confession" - acknowledgment and praise - of the holiness of God and of His mercy toward sinful man.
The 2nd Graders of Our Lady Queen of Heaven Parish will make their
Sacrament of Confession at the 1st Reconciliation Retreat
on Saturday, December 7th, 2019! Parents need to be present.
Things your child should know before first confession:
- Prayer: Act of Contrition - O my God I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all of my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all of my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.
- Prayer: Hail Mary - Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death Amen.
- Prayer: Our Father - Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
- Examination of Conscience
- A guide for how to go to confession